How do you register your business name in Jamaica?
So you've spent hours brainstorming the perfect name for your business and you are ready to register it in Jamaica. Where do you go and what do you need to do to register your business name in Jamaica?
Well your first contact point should be the Companies Office of Jamaica. This can be done either online or offline.
Under the Companies Act 2004, it became possible for a company to reserve a name for up to ninety (90) days before it is actually registered.
The advantages of name reservation include:
- Establishing that the name is appropriate and available for use
- Protecting the name from use by others for the reservation period
- Allowing the company to use the name for pre-incorporation contracts with certainty.
To access this service, you will need to complete and submit a COMPANIES NAME SEARCH AND NAME RESERVATION FORM 6 at the Companies Office of Jamaica.
The fee for the service is $500.00* for the NAME SEARCH, and $3,000.00 for the NAME RESERVATION. Therefore the total reservation cost is $3,500.00.
Upon completion of the process, the Companies Office of Jamaica will issue you with a letter advising that the name is reserved for a period of ninety (90) days. Name reservation may also be done online through its website www.orcjamaica.com
...Companies Office of Jamaica will issue you with a letter advising that the name is reserved for a period of ninety days...
Four important things to keep in mind once you decide to register your business name in Jamaica:
- Companies Office of Jamaica has the right to refuse any name which is likely to cause confusion with another name already on the Register of Companies.
- Names containing obscene language or indicating an illegal activity will be refused.
- Names implying connection with Royalty, or a Political Party will have to be justified.
- Certain names containing “Engineering”, “Pharmacy”, “Medical” etc… must be justified and may necessitate the provision of professional certification.
(Source: Companies Office of Jamaica).
More information on how to register your business name in Jamaica can be found at www.orcjamaica.com
Customer Service Contact:
Telephone: (876) 908-4419-26
Fax: (876) 960-7152
Opening Hours: 9.30 am to 3.30 pm.
*Fee in Jamaican dollars
How did you find the process to register your business name in Jamaica? Easy or difficult? Slow or fast? I'd love to know and so would our readers so please leave a comment below.